my boy

my boy
playing nice in the world's sandbox

Friday, November 04, 2005

"Working Mothers"

I find that term redundant, "working mother" - since when does a stay at home mom not work? *giggle* Yeah, I get in a lot of bon bons, in between baths, laundry, trash, vacuuming, napping, sneaking in a shower, or maybe even the luxury of blow drying my hair. All of that while watching "one life to live" or maybe Jerry Springer. I do admit, that when we have TV, it is on more than I'd like. But it's shut off now, so we get in a lot more giggle time, singing, patty cake, and I usually get to eat breakfast while smiley baby has his morning nap.

Here's a synopsis of our mornings;

5am get up with Daddy - nurse a bit, change diaper, daddy burps baby, and then makes coffee. Baby nurses while daddy showers and gets dressed. Then daddy burps baby again while mommy sips coffee, ahhh sweet coffee. Baby poops, mommy changes diaper, then baby wants to nurse again. It is now 6:30am. Daddy leaves for work, Heidi whines and looks out the window and baby falls asleep around 7am.

Mommy spends about an hour at the computer, emailing, catching up with friends and family and making oatmeal, finishing the coffee.

8am baby wakes up and wants attention, we change diaper, play a bit, then nurse some.

9am, give baby a bath, dry baby off, put lotion or "foo foo" as daddy calls it, all the while talking and singing to each other. Smiling all the way.
Let baby be naked for a while, clean up peepee then diaper baby and make him irritable while dressing him (he hates shirts that go over his head, 99% of what he wears is such) and at 9:25 nurse for 15 minutes then he wants to play.

9:45 put baby on leapfrog play mat and he bats and grabs at his links and other toys.

10:15 he is done playing, starting to fall asleep. While he's playing I'm folding laundry, answering my phone, mom calls, grandma calls and make a call to daddy.

Do the dishes, go potty, put another load of laundry in, clean out purse, take trash out and I can't believe it's already 11:00am when he calls out for me. Wide Awake and HUNDRY. Get a glass of water, pick him up and smile awhile then sit down to nurse. He grins at me, unable to smile and eat at the same time. I look around, there is still vacuuming to get done, dusting, windows to wash, mirrors to clean, tub to scrub and a bed to be made and the day is almost half over. Time for lunch, I'm gonna need some energy.

Some days run into others, with none of the above getting done. But it's all in the name of love, the dust that sits here day after day waiting for the dust cloth and orange oil. It waits patiently, for the working mother.

1 comment:

Mrs. Embers said...

This all sounds so familiar! It's hard work, but you've gotta love it, right? (PS- why do they even make shirts that go over their heads? In a perfect world, all baby clothes would snap up the front and down both legs!)