my boy

my boy
playing nice in the world's sandbox

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hunting Eggs

Last Sunday the church (one of 20 in a five mile radius) put on an Easter egg hunt for the kids. Gregg, Kathy, and Eric were here at Hope Farms, so I grabbed a couple of baskets and we headed to the church.

A few of the older kids hid the eggs. The remaining older kids peered out the windows in a not-so-sneaky fashion and tried to spy on WHERE the eggs were being hidden. Eddie was the second youngest. The youngest was an adorable little girl in a cute denim dress named Savannah. Eddie seemed to follow her around as they gathered eggs, and at one point, I encouraged him to give her some of his eggs, which he did selflessly. So cute.

When we first went outside, I told him to look for the eggs, and it took him a few minutes to grasp the concept, but once he realized they were all over the place, I could hardly keep up with him. He was silent and focused the entire time, it was as though this was his first important JOB! haha! I wish I had a camera, because I'd have snapped photos of him in his jeans, spring colored button down shirt and coordinating vest. Yes, I even brushed his hair!

So, imagine a cute picture of said toddler HERE.

After all the eggs were gathered (who knows how many were left out there...) we went inside to open the pastel colored plastic halves to find a bible verse tucked inside. Ann, the Sunday School Teacher read corresponding verses and whomever had a matching verse won a prize. Of course, there were matching verses for all and every child got a prize. And then there was the bags of candy.

CANDY!!! Eddie loves candy. He loudly expressed his delight and shouted, "Mommy! open that one, baby want the big one! CANDY!! Chocolate!". It's a good thing Easter comes once a year. Along with halloween, Christmas, valentines, not to mention birthdays. Of course, I had to sample some of the candy for him, as to ensure it was fresh. hee hee!

This Sunday we'll probably hard-cook some eggs and hide them for Eddie to find. And eat lots of candy. And next year, I'll make more of a concerted effort to teach Eddie the reason for the celebration of this day.

He is Risen.

No comments: